Friday, June 22, 2007

Day Five

Highlights from this weeks learning:

Use googlepedia plug in along side of google to get better search results.

Use Yahoo groups to enable a on going conversation between participants

Use Delicious for social book marking that can be accessed from any computer and shared with others

The mysterious rrs icon on my computer actually has a purpose and allows me to subscribe to a variety of media sources

A wiki is a group blog that anyone can add to or edit

pageflakes can be used to bring together many types of rrs feeds that can be shared.

The www can be used as a project tool for presenters, for shared communication, and a proof of truth clarifier.

Googledocs is similar to wiki but feels more like microsoft office

Wikispaces easily allows for links, revisions, extensions to other sites

Podcastalley is a podcast aggregator organized by type. Its possible the just subscribe to one subpart of the NYTimes

Gcast allows for podcasting via a cell phone for free!!

Protopage.com is similar to pageflakes

To get a free wikispace you must first sign up with edublogs

Myspace- social networking

Utube- user created content

Digg - collaborative decision making as to what is important news on the web

Horizonproject.wikispaces.com has great ideas for collaboration

wikimapia.org is a source for thematic maps

Eyespot.com allows you to add narration to videos

bubbl.us is an online concept map maker (inspiration)

Ted.com is a great source for speaker on recent topics ( wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales filmed 7/05, posted 8/06 discusses the strenghts of a collaborative encyclopedia)

Surveymonkey can be used as a rater

Summerizing all this information will greatly increase the chances that I will use these great resources with my students.

3 comments:

BioEthicsProject said...

Conrad,
Great job summarizing the day and your book summaries on the wiki are great. I am about where you are in the book, but am going to try and get through it tomorrow. I will post in the wiki tomorrow night. I was thinking that I would create a protopage to use for our presentation. We can copy all the wiki notes into it, plus add links and pictures easily. I also found a great video we could use on teachertube. Here is the link: http://www.teachertube.com/view_video.php?viewkey=8416a242f40fb7d7f338
You can respond in my blog or just email me at mebgross@gmail.com
Take care,
Brian

Dave said...

I like the idea of a group blog as a description for a wiki, but, to me, a blog is all about personal experience like a diary or journal. To me a wiki is a shared workspace, as if everyone shared the same notebook.
To us a traditional classroom allusion, a blog is a student's notebook, whereas a wiki is the blackboard. Of course, this idea doesn't convey the power of a wiki, but it's the best I can come up with when I have insomnia. =)

Unknown said...

Conrad,
I like the attention to detail in your summary. Science people are like that--very thorough. I agree with you on the democratic nature of a wiki. I rather went into a rant about it in my blog I'm afraid. Have you ever used Surveymonkey? St. Georges uses it instead of having teachers complete IEPs at the end of every marking period. It is an interesting tool that could be creatively used.

I'm thinking of setting up a wiki page with Brian, you, and me on it so that we can start to share ideas about the project. I've been collecting some. Right now I'm on dial-up, otherwise known as technological purgatory,but I'll put one together tomorrow when I get to the university.
See you then,
Carol